Planning, Research and GIS Specialist needed:
West Alabama Regional Commission is seeking an entry-level Planning, Research and GIS Specialist. This position will primarily assist senior planning and grant staff with various projects on behalf of municipalities and counties in the seven-county region of Bibb, Fayette, Greene, Hale, Lamar, Pickens and Tuscaloosa.
Collaborating with WARC CED staff, the Specialist assists in assessing community needs, develops infrastructure and community development projects, and assists in writing grant applications and administering funded projects. Other responsibilities include basic GIS data entry, analysis and map preparation to support planning reports and presentations; working on CED reports, projects and/or plans such as the region’s Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS); assisting with planning projects and presentation; and, other duties as assigned.
Eligible applicants must have:
- Bachelor’s degree is required, prior related work experience is helpful
- Ability to use computers and be proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.) and social media tools (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.)
- Knowledge of GIS /ESRI software including ArcMap, ArcPro and Arc GIS Online
- Excellent written, verbal and analytical skills, including project budgeting
- Ability to read and comprehend instructional materials; complete forms and prepare documents accurately
- Self-and mission motivated, detail and process oriented
- Possess a valid State of Alabama driver’s license and operate a motor vehicle
- Maintain regular and predictable attendance
- Willingness/ability to attend evening and before or after-hours meetings of city/county officials and other public groups References are required. Resumes will be accepted until position is filled.
This is a full-time position and starting salary is $35,568, negotiable based on experience. West Alabama Regional Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please send cover letter, resume and references to: West Alabama Regional Commission ATTN: HR Manager
P.O. Box 509
Northport, Alabama 35476 Or email to: