Lee-Russell Council of Governments: Director of Planning and Economic Development
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Director of Planning and Economic Development manages the Planning and Economic Development (PED) Department, oversees human resources, administers and directs PED programs, performs evaluation and control activities, conducts community relations activities, performs professional development activities, and performs related services for the Lee-Russell Council of Governments:
- Attends meetings and maintains contacts with city/county officials regarding developmental needs and plans; holds discussions with interested parties, identifies projects and conducts research on technical issues and funding; assists clients and other COG departments related to grant sources and application preparation; seeks supplemental sources of funding for PED programs; prepares and submits grant proposals and other requests to funding agencies; and develops and submits PED budget for approval.
- Determineswork and designs jobs; determines reporting relationships and chain of command; develops organizational chart; delegates authority and assigns responsibilities to lead, professional and clerical personnel; and makes modifications as needed to accomplish mission.
- Develops job descriptions and performs updates; reviews applicant material/resumes, conducts interviews of candidates with personnel management committee, and makes hiring recommendation; assesses training needs and arranges for training; retreats and in-service training; appraises job performance, provides feedback, makes salary recommendations, and takes necessary action to improve job performance; recommends disciplinary action; encourages professional development activities; and serves on the Personnel Management Committee in policy development.
- Supervises PED staff in program planning, implementation, marketing, records management and reporting. Administers and directs PED programs including but not limited to Census, Emergency Food and Shelter Program, Revolving Loan Fund, Auburn-Opelika Metropolitan Organization, Rural Planning Organization, Purchasing Cooperative, State and Federal Grants, Mobility Management and Community Planning Initiatives. Responds to complaints and takes appropriate corrective action; develops forms and trains staff in use of forms; provides technical assistance to PED staff and contractors; conducts staff meetings; and supervises interns and volunteers. Reviews program reports and related documents to ensure quality and legal compliance; prepares departmental and special reports; monitors budget expenditures; monitors contractor compliance; conducts compliance assessments of grants and programs; and negotiates grants and contracts.
- Serves on planning and economic development committees and organizations; responds to requests concerning PED and agency services and programs; presents informational programs to organizations; attends community meetings; represents LRCOG at meetings upon request.
- Attends professional conferences, workshops, and seminars; and maintains knowledge of developments in field and regulatory environment.
- Serves as member of executive leadership teamof LRCOG; may work with consultants; andperforms related tasks as requested.
Qualifications: Master’s degree is required with a background in public administration, planning, business, or economics. Experience in grant writing/management, budgeting, financial planning, program development, and human resource management is preferred. Five years’ experience related to planning and economic development that must include supervisory or management experience or equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered. A copy of the job description can be requested from Lisa Sandt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grade 13/Salary Range/General Appointment Position: $69,767 – $104,647
How to Apply: Send cover letter, resume and references to: Lee-Russell Council of Governments, Attention: Lisa Sandt, Executive Director, 2207 Gateway Drive, Opelika, AL 36801, Phone (334) 749-5264, Fax (334) 749-6582 or email email@example.com.
Date and time of Open Vacancy Posting: August 12, 2021 at 11:00 am CST
Date and time of Open Vacancy Removal: Position will remain open until it is filled.
LRCOG is an equal opportunity employer.