Title of Position: Community & Economic Development Senior Planner
Position Type: Full-Time, FSLA Exempt
Pay Range: $44,808.90 – $67,213.36/year based on qualifications and experience
Benefits: Health, dental and life insurance; enrollment in State Retirement system; paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
Location: Northport, Alabama
The West Alabama Regional Commission (WARC) is looking for a dedicated individual to join our team as a Senior Planner. The preferred candidate will have economic development experience and be eager to assist the region’s communities address their unique needs and opportunities. Under the direction of the Community and Economic Development Director, the Senior Planner performs responsible, professional work focused on implementation of programs and projects of importance to the region.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist with the preparation of plans and reports.
- Carry out planning activities to support economic development including the region’s Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) and associated resiliency and recovery strategies.
- Assists member governments, communities, and business owners in determining needs and priorities; and, identify state, federal, or non-profit programs to meet those needs.
- Prepares and administers grants from State and federal programs.
- Promote WARC’s revolving Loan Fund programs to business financing professionals and entrepreneurs, and assist prospective borrowers.
- Writing skills to compose business letters, reports and grant proposals.
- Reading skills to identify and comprehend pertinent information; to understand instructions, regulations, guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize and multitask work assignments and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Considerable ability to organize and facilitate meetings.
- Strong interpersonal communication and group presentation skills.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Knowledge of issues surrounding rural community and economic development.
- Knowledge of commercial lending and business assistance programs.
- Ability to read and interpret financial statements, business plans, credit reports and other information pertinent to loan applications and approvals.
- Ability to maintain and safeguard confidential data in accordance with appropriate state and federal regulations.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle, have a valid Alabama driver license and proof of automobile insurance.
Required Education and Experience: A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Urban, City or Regional Planning, or closely related field, plus three years of experience. A Master’s Degree may be substituted for two years of experience. Economic development experience preferred.
How to Apply: Mail cover letter, references and resume to:
West Alabama Regional Commission
P. O. Box 509, Northport AL 35476
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Resumes will not be accepted without a cover letter and three professional references.
Closing Date: Posting will remain open until position is filled.
For more information on West Alabama Regional Commission, visit our website at www.warc.info.
West Alabama Regional Commission is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.