Community & Economic Development Senior Planner
Full-Time, FSLA Exempt
$43,930 – $65,895/year based on qualifications and experience
Health, dental and life insurance; enrollment in State Retirement system; paid holidays, vacation and sick leave.
The West Alabama Regional Commission (WARC) is looking for a motivated individual to join their team as a Senior Planner. The preferred candidate will have economic development experience and be eager to assist the region to address current economic challenges. The Senior Planner performs responsible, professional work focused on community and economic development, associated plans and reports, and the development and implementation of programs and projects of importance to the region. Work areas include providing technical assistance to local units of government, businesses, and the general public on a variety of planning and development topics, such as economic development, community development and Revolving Loan Funds. Work also includes securing funding for programs through grant preparation and administration of funded projects.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Carry out planning activities to support economic development including the region’s Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS) and associated resiliency and recovery strategies.
- Assists member governments, communities, and business owners in determining their needs
and priorities and help identify state, federal, or non-profit programs to meet those needs.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to leverage economic development experience and tools across programs.
- Promote WARC’s revolving Loan Fund programs to business financing professionals and entrepreneurs, and assist prospective borrowers.
- Strong interpersonal communication and group presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively organize, prioritize and multitask work assignments and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work effectively with a broad range of people and styles.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software, including Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
|• Knowledge of issues surrounding rural community and economic development.|
|Knowledge of commercial lending and business assistance programs. Ability to read and interpret financial statements, business plans, credit reports and other information pertinent to loan applications and approvals. Considerable ability to organize and facilitate meetings. Considerable ability to organize work, set priorities, follow up on assignments and meet critical deadlines with minimal supervision. Ability to maintain and safeguard confidential data in accordance with appropriate state and federal regulations. Considerable ability to write effectively and follow the Plain Language Initiative.|
|• Ability to operate a motor vehicle, have a valid driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance.|
Working Conditions and Physical Demands: The work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meeting and training rooms, libraries, and residences or commercial vehicles, e.g., use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls, observance of fire regulations and traffic signals, etc. The work area is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated.
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee may sit comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items such as papers, books, small parts; driving an automobile, etc. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
Required Education and Experience: A Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Urban, City or Regional Planning, or closely related field, plus three years of experience. A Master’s Degree may be substituted for two years of experience. Economic development experience preferred.
How to Apply: Mail cover letter, references and resume to: HR Manager
West Alabama Regional Commission P. O. Box 509, Northport AL 35476
or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Resumes will not be accepted without a cover letter and three professional references. Closing Date: Posting will remain open until position is filled.
For more information on West Alabama Regional Commission, visit our website at www.warc.info.